My name is Kya Funkhouser, I am 17 years old, I am a junior at Navajo High School, in SW Oklahoma. I am a member of the National Honor Society and Shooter Sports Team.
I’ve always enjoyed hunting, shooting, and working hard. In March of 2018, I tried out for the Navajo shooter sports team and after the first shot, I fell in love with the sport. When the Navajo shooter sports shooting competitions were over, I wanted to continue shooting so I joined ATA and AIM in April.
In 2019, I was named Oklahoma’s Female Rookie of the Year, made the 2020 Sub Jr. First Team All American and Oklahoma AIM Team. While at the Wisconsin State Shoot, we decided to try out a Kolar from Elite Shotgun. I tried out the demo gun and loved it! I was not able to get my Kolar until the Grand American Shoot. I picked my Kolar up from Elite Shotguns and began shooting it the first day. I had very good success that year at the Grand.
In 2020, I made the 2021 Junior First Team All American. I currently have over 51,000 registered targets. This year, 2021, my goal is to make the 2022, Open Second Team All American.
None of this would be possible without the help of my daddy, who is also my coach, and everyone who has helped us along the way. My daddy told me this journey would be very hard but rewarding. There have been a few times, I have thought about quitting but kept on shooting. I’ve learned from my parents, to crush your goals you have to have a good attitude, value hard work, and be determined. Now it’s a flame that won’t go out. This is the best sport out there!
- I shoot a Kolar Max Trap TA-low profile combo. It has 34″ unsingle barrel and a 32″ over-under. It has dark upgraded wood, with a matte blue receiver.
- I use the Ranger Phantom 2.0 glasses, using the light orange lenses the most.
- My favorite shells to use are the Federal Top Guns. For singles and doubles, I use the 8 shot, 1145. And for handicap, I use the 7.5 shot, 1200.
Major Recent Accomplishments:
- Some of my major accomplishments are being named 2018 Oklahoma’s Female Rookie of the year
- Making Sub Jr. and Junior First Team All American
- Shooting my first hundred straight in doubles at Tucson, Arizona for the Spring Grand 2020
- When I made it to the 27-yard line last year. I finished the year by getting AA-27-AA.
Kolar Arms Corporate Office
1925 Roosevelt Avenue
Racine, WI 53406
Ph: (262) 554-0800
Fax: (262) 554-9093